Best time to Visit BD : From Aug-March
Bangladesh Visa on Arrival (VOA) : It is very easy to get VOA at all airports and land borders . The Airport booth is open 24 hours and procedure is easy. Just go the respective booth, provide your passport (No need photocopy, they will do it), pay the fees (flat fee USD 51 for all nationals ) and get 4 Weeks visa stamp on your passport. All the European Countries, USA, Russia, Kuwait, Malaysia, China, South Korea and some other country national will get VOA No VOA for a. India, b. Pakistan, c. Algeria, d. Sudan, e. Iraq & f. Afghanistan .
Over staying : Overstaying is not a big issue here. You can easily overstay some days. Some time immigration officers ignore this, specially in land borders. But there is a rule of fine for over staying : Tk 200 per day for first 15 days and Tk. 500 per day after 15 days.
Route Change permission : You may enter by air and leave by land. For this NO NEED to take permission from anywhere. Yes, there was such a rule earlier but no use at all. No one will ask you either onward ticket at airport or route permit at land border. So, don’t worry about this.
Visit From/To India
- Bangladesh Visa in India.
- New Dellhi : High Commission of Bangladesh,
- 56 Ring Road, Lajpat Nagar III, New Delhi 110024, India,
- Ph : 6834668, 6839209, Fax : 6839237,
- E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kolkata : Bangladesh Consulate at Kolkata,
- Circus Avenue (Park Circus),
- Tel: 22475208
- New Dellhi : High Commission of Bangladesh,
- Dhaka-Kolkata-Dhaka TRAIN Service (Moytree Express) :
- From Dhaka :
- Every Friday and Wednesday (at 8.30 a.m) from Dhaka Cantonment Station.
- Ticket : From Kamalpur Rail Station, Dhaka (with Passport & Visa)
- Fare : USD 8 (Non A/C). USD 12 (A/C Chair), USD 20 (Sleeper Class)
- From Kolkata :
- Every Saturday and Tuesday (at 7.10 a.m) from Chitpur Station.
- Ticket : From Fairly Place,Kolkata (with Passport & Visa)
- Fare : USD 8 (Non A/C). USD 12 (A/C Chair), USD 20 (Sleeper Class)Note:
i )While going from Dhaka, please also add Taka 300 for trvel Tax.
ii) Please mention that you want to travel by train while tking visa.
- Foir more info Click the link : http://www.railway.gov.bd/maitreeexpress1.asp
- From Dhaka :
- Kolkata-Dhaka/Dhaka-Kolkata Bus service
One way fare is USD 10 (Air con). Green Line (9 A Marcuis St., New arket, Kolkata. Ph : 2252 0571) & Shymoli Transport (6/1 Marquis Street., Kolkata. Ph : 39579672), Shohag Paribahan (Marquis Street) are the best in this route. The journey takes 10-11 hours. From Dhaka, all buses start from Arambag area.
- Shiliguri-Dhaka bus service.
Shyamoli Transport started Shiliguri-Dhaka bus. Fare is USD 12 (air con) . Bus starts froim Shiliguri at 1.30 p.m & reach Dhaka next morning.
- India-Bangladesh border crossing (Break journey)
For break journey, there are several enter point to Bangladesh from India which details as under :
- a) Horidaspur (Petropole) – Benapole border (Travelers from Kolkata)
This border located 88 km from Kolkata. You can come Horidaspur by shared jeep. Or can come to Bongaon station by Train from Sialdoh & then take Cycle Rickswaw to the border. After crossing the border, will find a bus stands from where many buses go to Dhaka, Barisal, Jessore, Khulna, Mongla (from early morning to midnight). The distances these places are : Kolkata-Horidaspur (Benapole) – 88 km, Benapole – Jessore : 39 km, Benapole – Dhaka : 310 km, Benapole – Khulna : 97 km. For any reason, if you have to stay at Benapole, can stay in the hotel of Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation (Govt. owned) Hotel Benapole, Room tariff : USD 7/night.
- b) Chengrabandha-Buramari border (Travelers from Shiliguri /Darjeeling/Nepal)
You can also take break journey. Changrabandha border is 63 km far from Shiliguri. You will find buses & taxies to come the border. After crossing the border, will find a bus stands (Burimari side) from where many buses go to Dhaka, Dinajpur & other cities. Changrabandha-Dhaka distance is 387 km. It takes around 10 hours to reach Dhaka.
- c) Dauki-Tomabil border (Travelers from Shillong, Guahati,Assam)
From Shillong, Dauki border is 95 km.After crossing the border, will find some local buses go to Sylhet (55 km). Also can hire microbus. Sylhet is tea city. So, you can stay 2-3 nights here to see the Tea gardens. From Sylhet every day many buses (air con/non air con) & trains go to Dhaka. The journey takes 5 hours (By bus) & 6 hours (By train).
- d) Agartola-Akhaura border (Travelers from Agartola, Tripura)
From Agartola, take a rickshaw to Akhaura border. The distance is 4 km. Crossing the border take another Rickshaw to Akhaura rail station (12 km) . From that station, will find many trains to Dhaka (3 hours), Chittagong (2.5 hours) , Sylhet ( 4 hours).
- a) Horidaspur (Petropole) – Benapole border (Travelers from Kolkata)
- Indian Visa in Bangladesh :
Indian Visa Application Center (IVAC), House-12, Road-137, Gulshan-1, Dhaka-1212
Phone : 880-2-989 3006, E-mail : email@example.com
To get the visa :
- i) You have to have passport with at least 6 months validity & 2 blank pages.
- ii) 2 copies of recnt photographs.
- ii) Photocopy of Passport (1-7 pages & Bangladesh Visa page)
- iii) Visa fee (Depends on Nationality)Office hour : Sunday-Thursday (11.00-01.00 for non Bangladeshi Nationals)
Visa Delivey : After 3 working days.
- Dhaka-India By Air
GMG Airlines is the best. Fare : Dhaka-Kolkata : USD 60 (+ takex) & Dhaka-Dellhi USD 210 (+ Taxes). For details, please visit : http://www.gmgairlines.com
- Travel Tax/Depareture Tax.
To leave Bangladesh by land, all nationals have to pay Taka 300 (USD 4.5). So, please be sure to have at least Taka 300 while you leave for border. But in cse of leaving Bangladesh by air, no need to pay extra at airport as the ticket is inclusive all taxes.
Currency : Taka (BDT). Present Currency Exchange rate (Dec 12, 2015) : 1 USD = 81.80 BD Taka
Banking hours: Sunday – Thursday (From : 10 am – 4 p.m)
ATM booths : There are many ATMs in almost all big cities (Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Barisal, Srimongol, Selhet, Cox’sbazar), you will find many ATMs those accepts Visa/Master/Amex Cards. For better result use Dutch Bangla Bank ATM booths as they accepts all kind of cards. .
You also get several ATMs inside airport.
Money Changers/Banks: You will find Six banks inside airport (almost banks are open 24 hours) where can exchange money. You can find money changers at Motijheel, Fakirapool,Purana Paltan, Gulshan Circle 1& 2 and many other places.
Airport-Dhaka city transport: Though the usual Taxi fare should be Tk 500/- but almost all Taxis will demand Tk. 1000-1500. But you can find some Tooktooks (Locally called CNG) just outside the main entrance. You will get such CNGs only for Taka 400-500.
Some Budget Hotels in Dhaka: Please see separate page for hotel recommendation.
Hiring a Guide in Bangladesh: Due to language difficulty, an English speaking guide can help you to make your travel plan as well as to execute that plan. It is cheap here to hire a Guide. I know some guides who can serve only for USD 20-25/day (Depending on duration & destination).
Buying a SIM Card in Bangladesh/ Dhaka airport : It is so easy to buy a SIM Card in BD. You will find a GARMEENPHONE counter just beside the luggage belt. Buy a SIM card (BDT 150) and recharge some amount. Both Grameen and Banglalink have wide network in BD and also can call worldwide.
– Internet in Mobile : Grameen, Banglalink have almost same coverage. So, you can buy any of them.
a. Grameenphone : They have 2 GB 3 G package (Validity 1 month) with Tk. 425
b. Banglalink : 1 GB Package (1 month) with Tk. 310
Swimming In Dhaka : It is very easy to practice you swimming in Dhaka. National swimming Federation pool offers short and long run facility to swim. The details as under :
National Swimming Federation, Mirpur Circle-10 (Adjacent to Cricket stadium), Dhaka
Time : 7 am-1 pm, 3 pm-9 p.m Weekly Holidays : Sunday & Monday.
Fee : Tk. 250 (One Hour), Tk. 2000 (Per Month)
Rocket Steamer trip: Rocket steamer may be the most highlight of you Bangladesh Trip. This 100 years old lazy paddle steamer goes till Morelgonj from Dhaka every day (except Friday) crossing many rivers. This is the best way to see Rivers of Bangladesh.- Days : Every day except Friday
– Starts at : 6.30 p.m (From Sadarghat River Station, Dhaka) & reach Hularhat 11 a.m and Morolgonj at 1.00 p.m
– 2.00 p.m : From Hularhat.
– Fare : Dhaka-Hularhat first class fare : Taka 2828, Morolgonj : Taka 3,388 ( Each Cabin has 2 beds, for single person just half the fare.)
– Deck Class fare : USD 2.5 (Taka 200)/Sleeping bag needed to travel by this class.
– Rocket steamer Ticket Booking : You can book the ticket 15/20 days before the trip and collect ticket before 2-3 days from Bangladesh Inland Transport Corp (BIWTC), 5 Dilkusha, Dhaka. Ph : (+880 2) 955 9779. Office hour : Sunday – Thursday from 9 am – 5 p.m. Online booking : www.shohoz.com or contact with us for booking.
Barisal-Chittagong-Barisal : Unfortunately the vessel stops their operation & no service for this route at present. But there is a nice alternate way to go Chitagong from Barisal by Ferry+Bus. FIRST TAKE THE FERRY TO MOJUCHOWDHURY HUT FROM LAUNCH GHAT. After 4 hours you will reach Mojuchowdhury Hut. Then immediately take the bus to Chittagong. It will take 4 hours to reach Chottagong.
Hiring a Car in Dhaka : It is easy to hire a Car in Dhaka. The usual cost is BD Taka 3000/day with Driver (+ you have tom pay drivers food & accommodation for outside Dhaka Trip). Polton Circle is the best place. You will find a car rental service association in that circle. Talk to them & hire the car .
Chittagong Hill Tract permission (Rangamati/ Bandarbans): Now it is difficult to enter Chittagong Hill Tract due to Govt rule for foreigners. You have to apply 1 month before the trip and only can visit the touristy places, not trekking.
Dhaka-Chittagong/Coxsbazar bus service: It takes 6 hours (275 K.M) to reach Chittaong. Shohag, Green Line, Silk Line are the best in this route. Fare : Tk. 900 (Air con), Tk. 550 (Non air con). Dhaka Coxsbazar fare is : Tk. 1500/1600 (Air con) & Tk. 700 (Non air con). Almost buses have the Ticket Counter at Arambag/Fakirapool area. Some addresses of their head offices (also bus counter) are as under :
a. Shohag Paribhan (Trasnport), 114 Malibag DIT Road, Dhaka. Phone : 933 4477
b. Green Line : 9/2 Outer Circular Rd., Rajarbag, Dhaka. Ph : 933 9623
Train Service ( http://www.railway.gov.bd): From Dhaka, everyday many train go to different cities (Except Southern Cities like Barisal, Patuakhali). Train service is good & safe here. Some details as under :
a. Mohanagar Provati : 7.40 am – 3.15 pm (No off day)
b. Mohanagar Godhuli : 03.00 pm – 10.20 pm (Off day : Sunday)
c. Subarna Express : 4.20 pm – 10.40 pm (Off day : Friday)
d. Turna Express : 11.00 pm – 6.40 am (No off day)
Fare : Chair : Tk. 360, 1 st Class air con seat : Tk 620, Sleeper Class : Tk. 1100
a. Parabat Express : 06.40 am – Sri : 11.06 am / Syl : 1.40 p.m (Off day : Tuesday)
b. Joyantik Express : 02.00 pm – Sri : 07.10 pm /Syl : 09.25 p.m (No off day)
c. Upobon Express : 10.00 pm – Sri : 03.40 am/ Syl : 05.40 am (Off day : Wednesday)
– Dhaka-Khulna (From Dhaka Cantonment station)
Chitra Express : 7.30 pm – 6.30 am (Monday off)
Note : Advance tickets are available (10 days ago) from Kamalapur Railway Station (7 am-11 pm) & Bananai Rail Station (Near Kakoli, Time : 10 am-8 pm).
Chittagong-Sandwip-Hatia Vessel: You can also take a Island and Sea trip in BD. If so, catch the Ferry from Chittagong Sadarghat and go to Sandwip/Hatia. Details as under :
Every day at 9 a.m except Friday and Sunday from Chittagong Sadarghat.
Time : 3 Hours to Sandwip and 5.5 Hours to Hatia.
Dare : Taka. 90/105 (Deck Class) and 1st class is around 5 times higher.
You can get off at Hatia, stay 1 night and next morning take Ferry (Launch) to Dhaka.
Dhaka/Yangon/Dhaka direct flight (Yangon/Dhaka/Yangon Flight)
Biman Bangladesh Airlines operating flight between Dhaka-Yangon-Dhaka. Flight details as under :
:: MONDAY & THURSDAY ::
BG 060, Dep. Dhaka 4.15 p.m, Arrive Yangon at 6.30 p.m
BG 061, Dep Yangon 7.30 p.m, arrives Dhaka 8.45 p.m
Also Novo Air started flights in this route. Please visit their site for details info.
Buying Rickshaw art/Rickshaw painting in Dhaka
Rickshaw art/Rickshaw painting is a piece of art widely used in Cycle Rickshaw. If you want buy such a Rickshaw panting, just go to Bangshal (Kazi Alauddin Road) and ask people about Rickshaw Painting. You also can try to Miazi Rexin House (91 Kazi Alauddin Rd) and Atekee Traders (92 Kazi Alauddin Rd) for Rickshaw Painting.
Eid Ul Fitre, Eid Ul Azha, Bengali New Year, Raas Mela, International Mother Language day etc.
Some useful Bengali Phrase :
– Greetings : As Salamualakium.
– How are you ? : Kemon asen?
– I am fine : Ami Valo asi.
– My name is ….. : Amar Nam……
– My country is…..: Amar desh……
– How is the price ? : Dam koto?
– How is th fare ? : Vara Koto?
– Where is ATM Booth? – ATM Booth kothai?
– I do not eat meat/fish : Ami mangsho/mach khaina.
– How is the bill? – Bill koto.